The Melbourne Documentary Film Festival had very humble beginnings. MDFF started off as a small, young, fun, experimental film festival incubated at a local art space and has gone on to become a major showcase of documentary and factual filmmaking.
The Melbourne Documentary Film Festival is currently rated as the Documentary Film Festival of the Year (2018) by FilmDaily and named Top Documentary Film Festival in the Southern Hemisphere on Guide Doc. The much anticipated 2019 fest runs from July 19th-30th.
Each year the fest features documentaries directed, produced, narrated by well know talents such as Madonna, Sharon Stone, Anjelica Huston, Shia La Beouf, Kevin Smith, George Michel, Ed Burns, Tony Bennett, Mary J Blige, Naomi Campbell, Whitney Houston, Elton John, Stevie Wonder, and Ricky Gervais. Great new filmmaker talent awaits as well at each MDFF.
Their mission is to discover and promote independent Australian documentaries, and to showcase the best international documentaries to Melbourne audiences. The 2019 lineup certainly delivers on both accounts. 10 must-see MDFF films listed below (click link for more info and showtimes!):
- Skidrow Marathon, Directed by Mark Hayes
- Defending a Monster, Directed by Marc Menet and Scott Prestin.
- Chasing a Million, Directed by Albert Klein Haneveld and Stefan Egberts
- Terry Pendergrass – If You Don’t Know Me, Olivia Lichtenstein
- Davi’s Way, Directed by Tom Donahue
- Sweet Soul in Exile, Directed by Tyler A. Chase
- Sharkwater Extinction, Directed by Rob Stewart
- Little Miss Sumo, Directed by Matthew Kay
- Forged From Fire, Directed by Andrew Garton
- The Ghost of Peter Sellers, Directed by Peter Mendak