Meet Annie O’Connell and Reem Edan. They are comedians, screenwriters, and the overall winners of Filmmatic’s 2019 Comedy Screenplay Awards.
Annie and Reem won for their hilarious comedic pilot aptly entitled “The Degenerates”. Their project follows the crazy beautiful lives of five freshmen girls living on the same dormitory floor at the University of Miami. It’s a new school, a fresh start, and wonderful opportunity for everyone to mess up as they go. The pilot pays homage to the best four years of “education” we all vaguely remember.
We sent these talented ladies a few questions after their win, and they were nice enough to respond:
1) How long have you both been writing?
2) What screenwriting training have you received?
3) How long have you been writing together as a team? Is this your only co-authored work?
4) What writing habits work for each of you? Do you write in short or long shifts, binge writing or scheduled sessions?
5) What genres do you lean towards? Are all of your works comedy?
6) Our judges loved “The Degenerates”, how would you describe the pilot to our readers?
7) “The Degenerates” seems like a viable project. Any 3rd party interest thus far? Where/how are you shopping it?
8) What are you working on now? What do you plan on writing in the near future?
9) Any advice for those about to write their first TV pilot or feature?
Congratulations once again to both Annie and Reem, the 2019 Filmmatic Comedy Screenplay Awards Winners. All contact requests will be forwarded to their attention.